Translate

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Stormy Vacation

The prompt this week, for Finger Food's Theme Buffet, is inspired by a vacation.  I knew that there would be beach sunsets, maybe some Disney?  I wanted to go another direction and take inspiration from a specific vacation from my childhood.

We took road trips often when I was a child.  Usually it was to Idaho to see my grandparents, but Dad always made it interesting.  Sometimes we would camp along the way, sometimes it would be hotels.  We always stopped along the way,  the Black Hills, the Badlands, Craters of the Moon, the Grand Tetons, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Zion.  I think we saw every national park between Minnesota and Idaho.  One year we even went north through Canada.  Loved that trip.  But this was inspired by one of my very first vacation memories.


I was young, maybe five or six.  We were on our way to Idaho, again.  We had camped the night before and driving the Going-to-the-Sun road in Montana when a storm came up.  Have you seen the Going-to-the-Sun road?

Source

Yeah, two lane road with steep drop offs and no guard rails.  And it was storming...HARD.  Like, you couldn't see more than a few feet in front of the car.  I was terrified.  The rain pummeling the car.  The windshield wipers going so hard and so fast, I thought they would break.  I was sure we were going over the edge.   Mom let me crawl into the front of the bench seat of our car.  I buried my face in her lap while she stroked my hair.  Sounds crazy, but it is one of my favorite vacation memories, hence the stormy manicure.

Urban Lacquer Schlong with flash
Urban Lacquer Schlong artificial light

I started with two coats of Urban Lacquer Schlong.  Not only a fun name, but the exact blue holo I have been looking for!  Not baby blue or teal but a gorgeous bright sky blue.  The formula was thick.  I like them thick, but this was a bit too thick.  Nothing a few drops of thinner couldn't fix.  I could easily be a one coater, and zI can't wait to try it for stamping!


The sky blue wasn't quite stormy enough, so I sponged with Colors by Llarowe In the Navy.  Yum!


Next I stamped with MN Bundle Monster BM-312 and Konad Special White.


And my storm was created.  I thought about adding a lightning bolt or two, but decided it might ruin it.


And look at that holo!  So stunning!


I have always loved this cloud image and am happy that I finally got a chance to use it.


Not exactly a pleasant memory, but a strong one, and one that I love....just like the nail art.

Thanks for looking, and don't forget the check out the rest of the vacation nail art!





1 comment:

  1. Nice stormy vacation nails! I used that stamping image recently too.

    ReplyDelete