Translate

Sunday, February 23, 2014

#NAGGDay23 - Oils

Finally caught up!  Now I need to make sure I don't fall behind again!  Today's prompt is Oils.  Sorry, not going to happen.  It also had a subtitle of textures or brushstrokes.  I decided to use both and use today to show some swatches too.  Yep, this is going to be a bit pic heavy!  I will not ask for forgiveness!


I used all China Glaze Sea Goddess polishes for this mani.  First I will show you the swatches.  I grabbed all but one of these from my local Sally's because I hadn't seen ANY swatches of it at that point, so I thought I would "jump the gun", so to speak, on the swatching front.  By the time I had swatches done and pics edited, (only 2 days) swatches were flourishing on the blogs.  I decided to wait until this post to put them on the blog.  So here are my picks from the Sea Goddess collection...yep, all but one.  I was not interested in the "dirty white" (in my opinion).  



China Glaze Teal the Tides Turn - 3 coats
Let's start with my least favorite.  I wanted to like this, I really did, but it just is not a success for me.  It is thin and watery, although it isn't a cuticle flooder.  It is the least glittery and, because it needs so many coats for opacity, the texture is a little lost.  Some may like it because of the color itself, but I just cannot get past the poor application issues.



China Glaze Shell We Dance - 3 coats
Another one that was somewhat disappointing.  It is not watery like Teal the Tides Turn, but it is sheer and required three coats for opacity.  In addition, it has a patchy application with balding in color and texture unless you use a careful hand.  This light raspberry pink is filled with silver, red and black micro glitters.  I felt the black glitters makes this look a bit dirty, but that is just my opinion.  If you like the color and don't mind having to use a light touch, this may be one you would want.



China Glaze Tail Me Something - 2 coats
Now we get to the ones I think are definitely worth adding to your stash.  This metallic lilac texture is fully opaque in two coats, applies easily and is very pretty.  There are other light purple textures out, but it is the metallic finish that makes it stand out.  The texture is also a bit smoother on this one.




China Glaze Sea Horsin' Around - 2 coats
 Now we come to the one I think EVERYONE should own.  The thing I like about Sea Horsin' Around is....well, everything.  The gorgeous blue metallic finish, the golden shimmer (which you can see the most in the blurred pic), the perfect texture.  This one applied easily and is stunning on the nail.  Who could ask for more?  I could.


I swatched this with a base coat, had it on only long enough for application, pics and removal, and yet this is what my nails looked like upon removal.  I hate to think what it would look like after a few days of wear!  Wear it anyways!  Just double up on your base and be prepared to do some nail cleaning afterwards.




China Glaze Wish on a Starfish - 2 coats
This is easily my favorite of the bunch.  A textured bubblegum pink filled with gold shimmer.  Oh so lovely.  My hubby thought it wasn't quite appropriate for a 30 something working woman.  I don't know that I care!  I love it!  Easy application...a must for anyone with a passion for bubblegum pink....or shimmer....or texture....or all of the above.  


Before I get on to the art, let me talk about top coating these.  I tried it with all of them.  You don't see any pics, because it made little difference in appearance, only in texture.  I think it is because of the highly reflective colors, rather than matte finishes, it still looked textured with top coat, just didn't feel textured.  You can see this in the above pic which has two coats of Seche Vite.  Now, onto the art!

 

Stripped with Shell We Dance.

   
And Tail Me Something.


And Seahorsin' Around.




So there you have it, texture and brushstrokes.  Do you like the Sea Goddess collection?  Which do you like best?  Would you be willing to put up with the application issues of Teal the Tide Turns for its' minty color?  What about Wish on a Starfish?  Is it appropriate for a middle aged woman?  Should we even care?  Thanks for wading through this long and pic heavy post!  See you tomorrow!





1 comment:

  1. These are some pretty shades! I like what you did for a mani too :)

    ReplyDelete