Translate

Saturday, November 9, 2013

A European Quickie

Today is going to be a quick post for CNT 33DC.  The prompt is "Europe".  Now, I am an American, so when I think Europe, I think royalty because, well the only royalty in my country are movie stars.  How sad is that!  When I think of royalty I think purple, gold and jewels.  So here is what I came up with.


 I have to be honest, these are definitely not my favorite.  Just a bit to much bling for my taste.  I'll show you how I did it anyways.



I started with two coats of Polish Addict Andrea.  Andrea is a lovely loose linear light gold holo.  You know what a holo means, right?  That's right, a gif!

Polish Addict Andrea on Make A Gif
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif

Wasn't exactly happy with the pics this time, but we aren't exactly having sunny days around here, so this was the best I could get.


Next I sponged on one coat of OPI Super Bass Shatter.  By sponging it on, it gives it a more random shatter effect.  I have seen this done by others with better results.  I just have not perfected the technique yet.

A little trivia here.  Do you know why we associate purple with royalty?  Until the invention of synthetic dyes, purple could only be made by using ingredients from the glandular mucus from a family of sea snails.  It took over 10,000 snails to make 1g of dye, barely enough to dye the trim of a garmet, which made it very expensive.  On top of that, in some areas the production of the dye was regulated and ultimately controlled by the ruling classes, so that it was only used for imperial clothing.  Thanks to "Mysteries at the Museum" and Wikipedia for that interesting tidbit.

   
 Next I sponged Sinful Colors Gilded near the cuticles and topped with some rhinestones.



Let me tell you, Sinful Colors Gilded was a bitch to work with.  Even with using masking liquid around my cuticles, I still ended up with tons of red glitter all over my skin.  It took a lot of work (and some Photoshopping to be honest) to get rid of it all.


 What do you think?  A bit much for me, but then I am not royalty, am I?  Check out the other Euros.






No comments:

Post a Comment