Translate

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Day 3 of 12 Candy Canes



Welcome to day 3 of 12 Days of Christmas!  Today's theme is candy canes.  This was the one day I was least looking forward to.  But then I remembered my magnetic polishes.  I needed something easy since I still am having tooth problems and am seeing the dental surgeon in the morning so this was perfect.  By the way - see that wonky middle nail?  I got a crack in my nail and tried to patch it.  It kept it from breaking but makes it look a little....well...wonky.  Anyway...here's how I did it.

  • Base Coat
  • 1 coat China Glaze Magnetix Positively In Love.  I love this particular magnetic polish because it was the easiest magnetic polish I have ever used.  The stripes are strong and I only had to redo 1 nail because...well I don't know if I waited to long to put on the magnet or if I didn't get it close enough.
  • Painted additional stripes with a small nail brush and Sephora by OPI Blasted Opalescent.  This is a shatter polish and really wanted it to shatter the lines, but I think with the thin lines it just wasn't able to do its thing.  You can kind of see a little shatter on that middle pinky stripe.  Oh well, best laid plans and all that.
  • Top coat (of course).  This actually was very textured so I had to add 2 coats of top coat to give it that smooth candy finish.  It actually could have probably used another coat, but you know how my patience is for that kind of thing.  Want to see what it looked like without the second coat.  Your wish is my command (tee hee)


Check out all the other girls awesome nails!




16 comments:

  1. Cute !! I love Positively in Love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! I've nominated you for the Liebster award!! Click on the link below to read more about it!!

    http://apolishplayground.blogspot.com/2012/12/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an awesome idea to use Magnetic polish for candy canes. I will try it next time. Great attempt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just ran across my swatch as I was looking for a good red and thought "perfect"!

      Delete
  4. gorgeous color, love it :D
    using magnetic for this theme is quit clever idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks stunning! I have tried magnetic polish, but I can't seem to get it to work for me. Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couple of things...First off is having the right polish. China Glaze is great. I've tried Ulta without success. A strong magnet is important to. For this I used the magnet from a Wet & Wild polish. Finally I hold it as close as possible for at least 10 seconds. I just picked up an Essie from CVS that has a magnet that makes your nails look like snake skin! Seems to work really well and I can't wait to try it on more than just a swatch!

      Delete
    2. I have China Glaze, the first collection. I was so excited when I bought them and have had no success on my nails. My roommates turned out great when I did them, but mine, not so much.

      Delete
    3. I think it has a lot to do with the magnet. I almost always use my Wet & Wild magnet if I am going for stripes. One of the nice things about using a magnet from a polish that is not the one you are painting with is that you can get the magnet to the nail speedily.

      Delete
  6. That is awesome! Great idea and they look fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color, sooo pretty!!It really looks like a fancy candy cane :)

    ReplyDelete